Day in, and day out, I field 10-20 questions about social media. While exploring and learning about social media many are still coming to grips how to use social media, how to use it effectively, and how to use it for marketing purposes. Seeming to be overwhelmed by the possibilities, often the next questions focus on the future of social media, whether or not it’s a fad, and is it here to stay? All reasonable questions.
In December 2010, Focus Research released the report, 2011 Trends Report: Social Media Marketing, which will certainly help me answer the questions about the future of social media.
The report’s Executive Summary states: Social media’s days as a “fad” and “the next big thing” are long gone. It’s here to stay, and it’s a rapidly changing space — especially in terms of marketing. What social media marketing trends will emerge in the coming year? In this Focus Trends Report, Focus Experts Jay Baer, Michael Brenner, Frank Days, Paul Dunay, Maggie Fox, Stephanie Marx, Tom Pick, Mark Schaefer and Lee Traupel share their 2011 predictions for social media marketing.
According to the report, social media marketing trends for 2011 include:
1. Social efforts will permeate the enterprise.
2. Widespread consolidation will occur on multiple fronts.
3. Stronger focus on global audiences.
4. Social media will become increasingly mobile.
5. Metrics will mature.
6. Social media will become targetable.
7. Facebook advertising will continue to improve — and get more expensive.
8. Listening will improve and become increasingly important.
9. Marketers and brands will think like publishers/broadcasters.
10. ‘Hard’ ROI will remain elusive.
The complete report may be downloaded HERE.
After reading the report, be sure to check out the entire discussion and join the conversation HERE.